Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Miriam's Code

18" x 18" paper, oil, cold wax, metallic powder and collage. This time I'm working larger and playing with my special "kiddie code double circle". If you follow the little black triangle pointing to the M you will see the corresponding a and there begins the spelling of Miriam in code! Not sure if this piece is finished. I was not as successful using the silver powders with cold wax and am thinking I might add silver leaf when it dries. Or I am considering adding my favorite oil based stain when it dries. Or do nothing?! I have two more large pieces ready to go and working on the deck is pure pleasure. The next one is beginning  by adding a layer of assorted greens. Quite a challenge for me using greens but what is life without a few challenges? The story or secret code for this next piece has to do with my mother and sister as they shared the same middle name of Inez as well as my great aunt...family stories, family secrets!

21 comments:

  1. When I first saw this I immediately thought it was my very favorite of this code series you're doing.However, after a quick run back through your posts, I find I cannot say I have a favorite.Each one has it's own importance and special appeal.The wheel creates so much interest, and as always I'm wishing to be able to see the work in the real.Certainly it looks finished to me, but only you know.
    Already looking forward to the green. Please hurry.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Babs, Thank you for liking this series. The green is actually going very slowly...I've always had trouble with green!

      Delete
  2. Fun and intriguing, great combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bren, It was fun putting together and using a palette knife for laying down the colors!

      Delete
  3. Ooo I like this very much, Mary Ann! It looks finished to me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn, I have some nagging ideas about another something to add to this one but I also have a "I'm done" feeling!

      Delete
  4. nice combo of colors and shapes. glad you are working larger. how lovely to be working on the deck too. i think there is a sense of freedom to working outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suki, I agree, working outside is a very freeing feeling...I'm enjoying it so much.

      Delete
  5. this is just wonderful and I agree with Robyn, this looks finished and it is stunning...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caterina, Thank you...very hard to argue with 'stunning'!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. mansuetude, Love that you dropped by...thank you!

      Delete
  7. I love this one. Love it. Has a fairground feeling to it as well, loaned by the mysterious code circle which can also suggest a Ferris wheel. A lot going on here, many connections to be made, symbolically as well as in the lines of paint and shapes being joined; all beautifully relieved by those lovely soft open breathing spaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. louciao, I have looked back over my photos and I have a Ferris wheel shot taken from our city wharf...I agree this does look very much like our beach boardwalk!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful. Pinned it to Pinterest:).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maryanne... it is wonderful... like the weaving in of secrets and the mystery in this one. Beautiful!
    It would look wonderful up really large... so much to notice!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie, Thank you. This is fairly large and I think it will look great in a narrow black frame.

      Delete
  10. This piece is amazing- makes me think of an archaic machine of some kind... I just love every part of it, as well as how it all connects. Do you mind if I ask what you mean by 'cold wax'?

    ReplyDelete

reply