Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Wednesday Walls: Art Hanging Over Our Bed


36" x 36" canvas, "Dawn" acrylic, photo collage, oil pastel. I believe the painting of Dawn and Dusk could be a lifetime project for me. I have made hundreds of sketches (mostly abstract), written poems and researched poetry written on this subject. For me it is celebration and completion...big subjects. In this "Dawn" I placed gateposts on either side as an entrance to dawn, the lotus buds to speak of beginning life, the bird for the song of a new day, a clock representing the time allotted to the gift of a day, the sun rising over my longboat filled with my portion of light. The photo of the lamb...for the lamb of G-d. Symbol for me but universal as well. This painting hangs above our bed and four other paintings share the same wall. I change my art work around, usually with the change of seasons.
Studio work is impossible this week and I've come to terms with this simple fact. I have no complaints as things are moving along rather smoothly. Painting today and tomorrow and old sink and countertop removed on Monday. New countertop by the end of next week and then appliances and plumbing. Now that they are painting the pressure is off me...I can't tell you how many paint swatches I have collected...after awhile they all look the same. Too late now, the paint is going on today!

12 comments:

  1. We are in the same boat--- We are knocking a wall out of my studio to enlarge it tomorrow and I have been looking at tiles. But isn't it interesting that we still manage to think about art even when we don't get into our studios. Dawn and dusk -- so different yet the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the painting...It is so beautiful....
    What color did you choose?
    Katelen

    ReplyDelete
  3. a rich painting Mary Ann :) kitchen sounds like it's almost ready to debut!

    ReplyDelete
  4. evocative and dream-like painting to have over your bed. glad things are moving along with the kitchen. Hope you will give us a picture when all done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The painting is lovely. I think waking to this painting would be soothing as well as a promise for a good day. That is how I see painting or any art work, sort of an introduction to the psychic life of the soul. A rememberance that provokes to more insight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kitchen color? Painting is lovely BTW. We're house huntng right now - very anxious times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. how fun to have that in your room. what a great image. like a smiling face:) xo

    C

    ReplyDelete
  8. Painting is beautiful...so dreamy.
    Glad to hear the reno's are coming along smoothly, you are sounding calm (always a good sign) :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this painting. And,,,it's ALL art, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mary Ann, guess i dropped the ball on 7 random as I mentioned it and didn't look back. there are many layers to this blogging as in your collages and in fixing a house...thanks for making another mention to me as reminder to check back in with you.
    Lovely painting...nice to set sail into the day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such an evocative painting to hang over the bed. It must stimulate deep, reflective dreaming...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful blend of colors! It's gorgeous! Take care.

    ReplyDelete

reply