Thursday, October 9, 2008

"Japan" by Billy Collins


For several years it was Pablo's habit to read to me in the evening...mostly poetry and because our memories are fading or because we loved this poem...well anyway, he read "Japan" to me many nights and I later created these three small encaustics in reaction to "Japan". You'll want to read the whole poem but he starts out describing himself reading a favorite haiku and then he takes it all
to a much deeper and more beautiful place. (In my opinion) All three measure 4"x4" (something odd about my scanner) photo collage, silver leaf and layers of wax, mostly blue. I rarely work with encaustics because of my workspace...poor ventilation and I feel uneasy. What I do like about encaustics is the polishing and the sweet
scent of beeswax. I seem to be having trouble today organizing this post and I am sorry not to have a link to Billy Collins....this poem "Japan" is in his book "Sailing Alone Around the Room".


11 comments:

  1. Well, I just happen to have "Sailing Alone Around the Room" right here and it's on page 107. In fact, I have the bell on my blog today! I adore Billy Collins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all so lovely. Meditative. I'll try to find the poem. How lovely that Pablo read poetry to you. My friend Mort would do that, he was a poet actually. So evocative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps I wonder if BC would be interested in seeing these images inspired by his poem??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Willow, That is a great bell...how wonderful to call the children home! So nice to find a Billy Collins fan...his poetry seems to turn people hot and or cold...like you, I adore him!

    Suki, Glad you like these three and I will look for a Billy Collins website...good idea!
    Not everyone can read poetry well, a good voice and rhythm captures a spirit and as you said evocative...we have both been fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Willow, I forgot to ask but from the book "Sailing Alone Around the Room" (fabulous title) do you have a list of your favorites?
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Beautiful art work here Mary Ann. :-)I have to ask - do you have a favorite line form this poem? I've now read it through a few times thanks to your introduction. Japan? What are we to assume of Japan - he is there when he wrote it?
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. From "Sailing Alone Around the Room, I especially like these poems:

    Insomnia, Candle Hat, The Man in the Moon, On Turning Ten, The Death of the Hat, Scotland and The Iron Bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Karen, Japan , seemed to me that his tone was casual as he was at home reading, chanting, singing a haiku and then he transports the reader just as casually to moments of zen..."and every time I say it, I feel the excruciating
    pressure of the moth
    on the surface of the iron bell"
    ending with the reader in the bed with the moth above...he takes one for a ride, sometimes funny, sad or lovely but it's the strong imagery and the not knowing that I so enjoy. Glad you like the encaustics...Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Willow, Love your pics, especially Candle Hat and I would add Taking Off Emily Dickinson's Clothes and Aristotle. Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  10. All three pieces are evocative and lovely. The bed piece is pure poetry. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. San, Thank you, a rumpled bed always brings me to a sigh too! ha
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete

reply