Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A Muse I Have Known

I have been creating my own brand of personal muse on and off for years. She always is outfitted with a helmet according to Norse mythology, sometimes wings and her age and gift is always different. They have been as an icon for me and although I have hung them in shows, I have never marketed them because of my personal attachment.
"The Necessity of Light" is my red haired girl with her pie tin helmet, she flies through the cosmos on her yellow wings. At the time I painted her I needed clarification and direction in my work and this image was helpful. I wrote in my journal from her perspective and gained a special and deeper insight. Even now years later her image makes me smile...Holding her little candle lantern giving her own light to an already large well lit Universe. The piece is on paper and measures 22"x36" acrylic with some collage.

10 comments:

  1. hey! it is great to see your artwork. thanks for commenting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think of Diogenes, when I see an image like that. Looking for an inner truth is how I see your work. You arn't just re-interpreting our present day lives, you seem to be re-examining your own life. I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmm...
    love seeing her again! she really does light the way. what i remember most clearly when i saw her hanging in your home was the texture of the metal, her confidence and the overall scale of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love this Mary Ann. What a good idea to paint your muse. The colors, you seem to have liked blue through the years, eh? She seems so hopeful with her lanthorn to light the night. I love too the red painting in your sidebar. Intense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. jude, Thanks for stopping by...your site is always an interesting surprise...I'll be checking in regularly!
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. pat, I'm out among Diogenes? Thank you. Yes, in many ways I am re-examining my life through my art...a part of my brain says "just stop it all and paint something that sells!" ha

    patrice, Light is easily the message of this muse...I love your take on my art...you have always given me such encouragement.

    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. suki, I'm glad you like her. Yes, I'm beginning to believe my Universe is made up mostly of many shades of blue! My latest muse has aqua hair!ha
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder if it is difficult to fly with boots and a helmet on?
    She is funny and delightful. Glad Suki sent me here to see her.
    Your work is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lynn, Thank you so much for stopping by...yes, my Viking muse is a stretch to the imagination! I like your quilts...more imagination!

    ReplyDelete

reply